Dotori-muk moochim is my favorite Korean salad, which is a healthy, delicious salad made with acorn jelly. Dotori-muk is an acorn jelly that is known to help with digestion, strengthen blood vessels, and suppress the absorption of fat. I thought it would be perfect to introduce this light yummy salad after my last post, gireum-ttuckbokki. I like serving this salad especially when guests come because although it is a simple salad, it offers an impressive presentation. You can buy dotori-muk at Korean groceries but if you can’t find it pre-made, they always do sell acorn powder that makes the jelly. I will post how to make homemade dotori-muk soon.
Related recipes: Dotorimuk-bap (도토리묵밥): Acorn Jelly Rice Soup
- About 200g (1/2 pound) of dotori-muk (도토리묵, acorn jelly)
- 1/2 package (about 70g or 2.5 ounces) of any mixed green salad
- 2 cucumbers, thinly sliced
- 2 medium size carrots, thinly sliced
- 2 mild chilies, red or green – optional
- 5-7 perilla leaves, ripped into bite sizes by hand – optional
- 1 cup of julienned scallion or thinly sliced scallion
- 1-2 tablespoon of perilla oil or sesame oil
- 3 tablespoons of crushed gim (김, roasted seaweed) – optional
- Toasted sesame seeds, for garnish
- 3 tablespoons of soy sauce
- 1-2 tablespoons of gochugaru (고추가루, red pepper poweder)
- 1 teaspoon of sugar or agave syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- Mix the salad dressing marinade.
- I like to julienne the cucumbers by cutting the them into 3 inch pieces lengthwise then going around the skin of the cumber with a knife as if you are peeling the skin until you hit the seeds (refer to the photo below). Discard the seeds because it makes the salad watery.
- If you are using julienned scallions, soak them in cold water for about 10-15 minutes. This takes away the oniony taste and makes the scallions milder.
- Toss all the vegetables together.
- Drizzle the salad dress and perilla or sesame oil. Garnish with toasted sesame seeds.
Pingback: Dotorimuk-bap (도토리묵밥): Acorn Jelly Rice Soup | Gangnam Kitchen
It’s not my first time to pay a visit this site, i am visiting this web page dailly and take pleasant information from here everyday.