After last night’s successful ‘Spicy Dumpling Stew,’ we were only left with the liquid part of the stew, which was the best part of the dish. So, I decided to make spicy udon soup with the left over soup base for lunch today. I only needed a few ingredients, and it only took 10 minutes to make. Once again, it was another successful experiment. My mother and I had a satisfying meal that was quick and easy. The best part of it was that it tasted like a totally different dish from last night’s dinner.
* This yields two servings.
- 2 1/2 cups of soup base from the ‘spicy dumpling stew’
- About 2 cups of water
- 2 packages of udon noodles
- A pinch of salt, to taste
- 2 eggs
- 1 scallion, sliced thinly
- 4 tbps. crushed gim (roasted seasoned seaweed, 김)
- Combine the water the soup leftover and boil for about 5 minutes. Since the liquid from the stew is thick, the water helps loosen the soup.
- Taste and add salt if needed.
- Add 2 packages of the udon noodles and cook from about 3 minutes or according to package instructions.
- Crack 2 eggs in the soup and let it poach until the egg whites are cooked.
- Add the sliced scallion.
- In 2 separate the bowls, serve 1 egg each, sprinkle the crushed gim.