[Kkotgae: blue crap, Tang: soup, stew]
Kkotgae-tang is a spicy soup made of blue crabs and vegetables. It is a sumptuous yet a surprisingly easy dish to make. Blue crab is my favorite seafood and I happened to have found blue crabs that were already cleaned and trimmed at a Korean supermarket. Without being able to resist them, I decided to make kkotgae-tang for my family last night. Needless to say, it was a great success, and I promise this dish will impress your family and friends as well.
- 6 cups water
- 200g (about 1/2 lbs.) moo (Korean radish) or daikon, cut into small thin squares
- 1/2 yellow onion, vertically sliced
- 1/2 zucchini, thinly cut into half-moon shapes
- 1 lbs. blue crabs (about 6 small blue crabs), cleaned and trimmed
- 5 large shrimp
- 1/2 package of soft tofu, cut into large thin slices
- 2 scallions, finely chopped
- 1 red pepper, thinly sliced
Ingredients for soup seasoning:
- 2-3 tbsp. gochgaru (고추가루, Korean red pepper powder), depending on the spiciness of the gochugaru
- 1 1/2 tbsp. gochjang (고추장, Korean red pepper paste)
- 2/3 tbsp. duenjang (된장, Korean soybean paste)
- 2 tbsp. gukganjang (국간장, Korean light soy sauce), can be replaced by regular light soy sauce
- 1 tbsp. minced garlic
- 1 tsp. grated ginger
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Combine all soup seasoning ingredients.
- Pour water into a large pot and mix in 2/3 of the soup seasoning.
- Add the moo and boil the soup base for about 10 minutes.
- Add the onion and zucchini and boil for another 5 minutes.
- Add the blue crabs, shrimp and tofu. Cook until the crabs and shrimp are cooked thoroughly, about 10 minutes.
- Skim off foam rising from the soup.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Sprinkle scallions and red peppers on top and cook for about 2 minutes.